Anyway, I've been fiddling around with composting worms the past few months. I've got a couple of containers with different set-ups but not really a whole lot of worms since I just bought 250 grams (including substrate) about three months ago. Unlike my manure exercise back in high school, I found vermicomposting very exciting because it gives me a chance to utilize kitchen scraps and yard waste. That's great on a micro level. But it also intrigued my imagination because it can positively impact the country's garbage situation. And so I was immediately hooked.
This brings me to my topic for today. I want to be able to utilize all my kitchen scraps, but I will surely get at least one objection to bringing worms into the house. Thus, instead of an indoor worm composting bin, I will just use it as a composting bin (without the worms). Once it's full, I'll move it outside and introduce the worms. I think it'll also give the greens a chance to lose some heat before I add the worms. I've heard that decomposing stuff can generate heat enough to kill worms.
That said, this is how I created this indoor compost container / vermicompost bin.
I used an old 5-gallon round water container. I have lots of those since I sell alkaline water (free plug). It was actually leaking already and resisted our various attempts to seal it. I sawed it near the top using my high school vintage hacksaw. Unfortunately, my hacksaw wasn't very cooperative. The rusted blade snapped. So I went to a local hardware store (Circle C) to get a blade, but they didn't have any. I decided to get an entirely new saw. The new one's called a drywall saw, although I'm not sure what that is. The saw packaging included a warning that the saw was very sharp.
Once home, I started cutting through the container again. You won't believe how tough that PET container was. Flashback a few weeks ago. I was trying to put a hole into a small pot by stabbing the bottom with an icepick. My aim slipped and I ended up stabbing my left forefinger. It bled intermittently for several days and was swollen for over a week. Back to the present, while sawing finishing touches into the 5-gallon container, I ended up sawing the same injured finger! I guess that settles it. I am no handyman.