Categories:
__________________________________________________________

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Herb Trading


Did you ever think there was a market for herb bartering?  Until a couple of weeks ago, I didn't know.  As I've often talked about, my Cinnamon Basil plants are thriving in my garden.  From one original pot, I now have about 40-50 (including the ones I've given away).  Is that amazing or what?  Not wanting too much of a good thing, I posted an offer to swap herbs in a local gardening mailing list.  For my cinnamon, I'd want Rosemary, Lavender, Dill, Sage, and some others.  Amazingly enough, I received two responses within the week.  The first one mailed me Rosemary seeds (and Sage I think...I'll look at her pack again).  She didn't even ask for anything in return. But since my Cinnamon Basil plants are flowering, I figure I'll give her a couple of seed pods (if I ever find out how to harvest the seeds). 

The other one traded Dill and some type of Oregano for six cinnamon basil plants.  In fact, I even threw in about a dozen rooted cuttings (not planted yet).  I was running out of pots anyway.   If you look at the Dill above, you'll see that it's really big already.  I haven't figured out how to use it, but my initial readings tell me it's good with butter.  The amazing thing about Dill that I've observed is that t really follows the sun.  Like, it will bend towards the sun within a day.

As for the Oregano, well it smells like my Cuban Oregano, but the leaves are a little different.  They're outlined in white.  The other one on the very left, I'm not even sure what that is.  Maybe it's an Oregano too.   I'll do my research in the coming weeks.

In the meanwhile, if anyone else wants to trade, buzz me.  I still have lots of Cinnamon Basil and Cat's Whiskers.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

No spamming please. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails