Categories:
__________________________________________________________

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Nag Dadamo sa UPIS

It's not what you think.

As I was doing some stuff over the net, I caught the scent of freshly cut grass and it came with the drone of an electric lawn mower. The scent always brings me back to Grade 2.

UPIS in 1982 was surrounded by large tracts of land with grass and weeds. In one of those days when I was just half listening, there was a lawn mower guy going about his business cutting grass. It's such a pleasant smell for me that it stuck through all these years providing what could be my only Grade 2 memory.

I forget who my teacher was, but I do recall my dad always ribbing the names of my friends and teachers. If I recall correcty, my dad kept calling this teacher Ms. Di-Mapantihan. He always followed the labeling with incessant laughter. Pikon pa naman ako.

Anyway, back in the class, I think I recall my teacher saying that if we don't study, we'll end up like the grass cutter. I find that people say that a lot. While it's probably true, it seems a tad insensitive, especially if such an individual was present. For example, "if you don't study, you'll end up like him." Too bad him is actually within hearing distance. If the grass cutter heard such a comment, maybe he would say, "di naman masama mag damo."

Quite the contrary, riding a lawn mower is one of those little jobs I wish I could try (along with welding, mixing cement and driving a cab with a hot lady passenger while discussing the stock market).



1 comment:

  1. The smell of freshly mown grass is enhanced even further by the presence of certain weeds inter-mixed with the grass. One of them is creeping charlie, a common weed in Europe and North America.

    ReplyDelete

No spamming please. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails