Wednesday, July 07, 2010
Malvarosa Propagation: The Experience
My Malvarosa has gone through a lot of changes. First it really outgrew its small pot. Then it started struggling after I moved it to a bigger pot, I think partly because of the incessant rains last month. In fact, I ended up moving it back to a smaller pot. And even then I saw that it had less roots remaining. I've also tried propagating it several times. First I took a couple of Malvarosa stalks and tried rooting them in water. They survived a good week but eventually rotted. Then since the main Malvarosa plant was big enough, I cut a big stem and placed it in good soil. Within a week, it dried up even though I watered it regularly. So now I'm not sure how to propagate it. After all, most of the readings say stem cutting works. Maybe next time I'll try main stem cutting in water. I hope that works. But first, my main plant has to survive. It doesn't look so good these days. Wish me luck!