Categories:
__________________________________________________________

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Will Herbs Grow In Pure Vermicompost?

A lot has been said on using vermicompost or vermicast as an organic fertilizer and how it won't burn plants no matter how much you use.  Have you seen it for yourself?  I have.  Here's what happened to my recently rooted sweet basil cutting.  If I remember correctly, I cut it about 3 weeks ago and planted it in this makeshift pot about 1 1/2 weeks ago.  I used pure vermicompost as soil.  I only filled the cup about 1/5 of the way.  I didn't have a lot of finished vermicast at the time.  I'll increase the "soil" level in the coming weeks.   But as you can see, the sweet basil is done with its wilting stage and has now fully recovered.  It showed me that herbs can thrive in pure vermicast.   In fact I looked at the vermicompost closer and found that the basil roots grown through a lot.

As an aside, when seeding cuttings, you would often read that you need to remove all but the top four leaves in the cutting to minimize transpiration.  Perhaps that's true, but as the picture would show, a cutting with about a dozen or so leaves will root just as well. But that's summer for you.  Everything thrives in summer!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

No spamming please. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails