Categories:
__________________________________________________________

Sunday, June 06, 2010

How to Grow Garlic

You know it was bound to happen. After talking about pesto, thyme, and rosemary, the garlic part became inevitable.  And so I did my little search on growing garlic.  Amazingly enough, you just put a clove in the ground and wait for it to grow.  No seeds.  No stem cuttings.  Hey, why not?  Plant a clove and get a bulb.  That's not a bad deal.  Except that in my experience (a week's worth), it seems that not all cloves germinate.  I planted like five of them in this pot, and so far, only one has germinated.    And if you see, the pot is almost topped with soil.  That's because garlic grows underground.  I can only hope my pot is big enough.   How do you know your garlic's good?  Well, the plant is supposed to wither and die.   Once that happens, it's your cue to harvest your garlic and dry it.  I'll tell you all about how it happens a couple of months from now.   By the way, I've been wondering why my pesto's taste had too much garlic.  I've been mixing up cloves with bulbs all this time!  Tsk.


2 comments:

  1. I think you'd definitely get better results if you purchased some heirloom bulbs from an online company and planted them in the fall. My supermarket garlic that I planted last October did a decent job of growing but not nearly as well as the bulbs I purchased from a seed company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by. Guess what? Three of the five bulbs have germinated. Apparently, germination speed can differ by over a week.

    There aren't a lot of seed companies here and for my purposes, I really just wanted to give it a try. Five cloves would be enough for this experiment.

    ReplyDelete

No spamming please. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails