Categories:
__________________________________________________________

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica) Self Propagation: The Runner

I've had my Gotu Kola for 2 1/2 months now. I have to say, it's hard to master its care.  At the start, it seemed fine.  I placed it under medium sun and used potting soil, although I planted it on the ground.  It even started growing new plants.  But then it started struggling and I read that it's an aquatic plant.  So I got my baby Gotu Kolas and placed them in an ice cream container with enough water to make the soil slushy.  I was going for a swamp effect.  Even there, there were ups and downs.  And this is supposed to be an easy plant to take care of.   Tsk.

I bought another Gotu Kola and this one was a lot healthier to begin with.  I put in the ground once again and I used lots of soil to make sure it was well covered.  The area was also slightly shady, being under a Calamansi tree. And I kept flooding the ground around it.  This plant looked fine.    And guess what?  Now it has runners.  My little plant is self propagating and spreading!  I hope it continues.  If you can't make sense of the picture, the main plant is on the right side.  The few leaves towards the left are coming from one horizontal stem.  I believe that's what is called a runner.  If I separate those, they should become separate plants.   I haven't figured out why this one does it and my other plant doesn't anymore, but I'll just keep doing what I've been doing.  




















1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:20 AM

    hi, I just wanted to ask, where do you buy your gotu kola plants? thanks!

    ReplyDelete

No spamming please. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails