Categories:
__________________________________________________________

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Big Melons One More Time

As I mentioned in one of my recent posts, I'm trying to grow melons again.   To increase my chances, I am growing from four different pots. I have a couple of seedlings growing in my worm tray.  From a week and a half ago, the seedlings have actually dwindled as expected.  I would expect a few more to die out.  I am thinking I'll be able to grow three full sized melons from that tray.  Too small?  I'll show you next time why I don't think it's too small. 

Then there's the melon that's growing from one of my plant boxes.   The cool thing is that it's bigger now and that it's starting to climb.  I repositioned the box so that the melon plant is nearer the metal bars.  I also put part of the box in the shade since I put a couple of worms there, along with some organic material.  I figure that should help the melon in it's growth spurt.

I also have a couple of melons bunched with other plants.  In this pot, you'd see dozens of seedlings along with the growing melon.  Those are tomatoes.  I also throw their seeds around a lot.  Like melons, I've had no luck growing tomatoes.  Always so close, yet so far.
Finally, here's another picture.  I think it's growing solo in a pot.  It's also starting to climb the metal bars.  To compensate for the relatively small containers, I'll just try to water and feed the plants more.  I hope that's a logical solution.  We'll see in a few weeks.
And if you're wondering why I have so many melons seeds (I do), that's because my diet is now partially dictated by my worms.    Worms love melons!  Therefore I love big melons!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

No spamming please. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails