Categories:
__________________________________________________________

Friday, May 07, 2010

How to Propagate Oregano from Cuttings

I have what I think is a Cuban Oregano (different from my Oregano Thyme).   I got it from an empty yard in front of a water customer's house.  I wasn't really ready to find it so I didn't have shears with me.  I just cut of a branch by hand (very crude cut).  Then I just stuck it in the soil of my seedling bed.  Weeks later, it was still alive (stoic but alive).  Just playing around, I took a leaf and stuck it in the soil.  I checked it earlier.  It already had roots.  Absolutely no care was needed.  It's so easy that I'm starting to wonder if this really is an Oregano or just a weed.  Hmmmm....

I also took a cutting and placed it in a glass of water.  It also grew roots.  So there you have it.  For this alleged Cuban Oregano, crude cuts, leaf cuttings, stem in soil, stem in water...they all work. 




2 comments:

  1. michelle2:49 AM

    I also have an oregano plant. One day, my sister's dog bit off one of the stems and left it on the ground. When i saw the "broken stem- dont know what to call it eh" i immediately replanted it... and so far... its been growing eversince... have proven that oregano is a sturdy herb..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle!

    The Cuban Oregano is quite a hardy plant. It grows even on inferior soil and on a variety of sunlight conditions (from direct to shaded).

    However, the Italian Oregano doesn't seem to be as resilient. I have one of those too.

    ReplyDelete

No spamming please. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails