Categories:
__________________________________________________________

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Mango Seeds with Roots (Germination) - Spreading My Seeds Part 3

If you've been reading my past posts, you'd know that this blog's transformation from a stock market heavy one to a green gardening one happened when I came upon a mango tree in a pot.  Since that time, I've been experimenting with various plants.  It has also given me a healthy obsession with germinating mango seeds.  Well in my last attempt, all the seeds expanded and started to grow roots.  I planted one, but it died.  I planted another one and it's still a wait and see.

Meanwhile, I left one seed inside the zip bag where I germinated the two others.  I left it in the garden so it does get some sun.  So, it's been like 3-4 weeks now since that project started.  I was so surprised with what I saw.

The seed was hulking out of its shell.  It's still very green so I know it's fine inside the bag.  Then I turned it over and that's when I got surprised.  There was a worm like root at the back.  It burrowed straight through the Starbucks napkin. Isn't that cool?  The root system is expanding and spreading inside the bag.  For me, I think the lesson is that as far as mango seeds are concerned, leave them there as long as possible.  My next batch will experience that.  I'm running out of pots and I still have at least three dried mango seeds that I haven't started germinating yet.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the great pics and the very educational information. I will try doing your way, this is my first mangoe seed.

    ReplyDelete

No spamming please. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails