Categories:
__________________________________________________________

Saturday, December 17, 2016

So You Want To Get A Rabbit 5 - Rabbit Eye Problems


When I went home the other day, naturally I did my rabbit rounds and said hello.  I was very alarmed when I did my inspection of Ethan because his eye looked awful.  Now that wasn't even there the night before.   I quickly read up on eye infections.  But sadly I received conflicting information.  Some said that the bunny, in the process of grooming, will remove that.  Others had some more worrying information. Naturally, I erred on the side of caution.

So within an hour, Ethan and I were packed and ready to go to the vet.  I had to prepare some cappuccino first since I was quite sleepy.  This was the Thursday of the last weekend before Christmas and I was going to drive from QC to Tiendesitas.  I was in for a 2-hour drive.    For would be rabbit owners, that's an important point.  For the past 20 years, I would complain about any drive that's more than 15 minutes.  But here I am ready to drive for 2 hours to make sure my furry baby is okay.

IF YOU CAN'T PUT YOUR RABBIT'S NEEDS ABOVE YOUR OWN, DON'T GET A RABBIT.


True to form, I was guided by Waze and still got stuck in terrible traffic all over the metro.  In between stops (and there were I lot), I would give Ethan a pellet or two just to make sure he's eating and to take some of the car stress away.

When I got to the clinic, the vet wiped his eye with a saline solution, removing the gob all over his eye. She said it was Ethan's hair getting into and irritating his eye.  It didn't seem like there was another cause.   Good thing Ethan was very nice about it and let the vet do her work.

Afterwards, she prescribed antibiotic drops which I bought in Mercury hours later.

I don't have a picture of Ethan's eye just yet, but it does look nice, black and round again.  So don't worry.  I think he'll recover just fine.

I'll end this little story with my common refrain from past posts.  At the first sign of trouble, bring your rabbit to a rabbit competent vet.  Don't self medicate.

The cost of this episode: P200 anti biotic, P500 vet, (no cost for the saline solution since I have one at home) and about P400 for gas.  Before you get a rabbit, make sure you're willing to spend the time, care and money. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

No spamming please. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails