Categories:
__________________________________________________________

Monday, November 28, 2016

SO YOU WANT TO GET A RABBIT 3 - Rabbit Medication

I don't promote self-medication at all.  In all the local rabbit FB groups, I keep seeing questions about what to give their rabbits if there's some condition or ailment.  I always reply, take your rabbit to a competent rabbit vet.

Most of the time, I see all sorts of recommendations and herbs and poultry medicine.  It's shocking how much tribal knowledge is going around.   My post though for the day is to just give you an idea as to what ailments rabbits may have when you get them (or may develop) so you'll have a better appreciation of bringing them to the vet right away and the costs that come with it.

I got Dexter as a healthy little boy (two years later the vet corrected that she's a girl).  At some point after her first year, she started losing her and developing crusts on her nose and then feet.  Poor girl.  Once we brought her to the vet, I found out she had mites (pretty close to full blown).  And so she was given a rabbit dose of Revolution.  The medicine, I understand from my readings was not really designed for bunnies, but works just as well.  However, it is commensurate to the weight of the rabbit so you can't just indiscriminately apply it.

I had to give her multiple doses over the past months, the succeeding ones to kill the eggs.  Since that time, I've given her quarterly doses for maintenance.  Since I also get my other bunnies treated, I haven't had another episode of mites in the past 1 1/2 years.  It's cool since it's also a de-worming agent.   And so far, I've had 0 side effects.  Rabbits are very prone to mites so make sure you bring your bunnies to a rabbit vet for check-up and application.  This is about P1-2K per quarter depending on the severity.

I got Lily as a scrawny little 2-month old runt.  After her first week, it became apparent that she couldn't balance herself because she had head tilt.  So small and so sickly.  I think partially because one eye was always near the ground, she also developed tearing of the eye.  It may be snuffles.  I still am not sure today.  She had lots of near death moments and I had to bring her to the vet over and over.  Ultimately she was treated and I have eye drops for her.  She still has a partial tilt up to today but since she's much fatter, she's able to carry the weight of her head without losing balance. I have eye drops.  I have glucose drops. I have critical care medicine.  That episode must have been worth P4K in a month.

I got Daisy as a year-old (allegedly) past mother.  She was also scrawny and looked terrible (matting all over the body).  Bioresearch definitely did not take care of her.  In fact, that's why we got her.  What we did find out after a few months (and we suspect it's from her) is that my bunnies had some fungus on their nails. (yep learned that from a vet too).  And so now we're applying fungus medicine regularly but it does take a while to remedy since bunnies aren't exactly cooperative when you fiddle with their nails.   To date, I'm still looking for an herbal solution.   That must be worth about P1K.

Just a few days ago (or has it been a week), we also got Ethan from Bioresearch for the same reason.  He looked forlorn and neglected.  I will stop passing by that place.   From his first trip to the vet, I found out that he had lice!  OMG.  So here we go again.  I needed a revolution round for all my rabbits (the maintenance dose will not do).   This will be another P3K by the time we're done.

I hope I've made my case to always bring your new bunnies to the vet for an initial check-up and regularly for follow-ups.  Make sure it's a rabbit competent one.  There are not a lot in the PH so please do your research.  We owe it to our bunnies.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

No spamming please. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails