Categories:
__________________________________________________________

Thursday, June 09, 2011

Outdoor Vermicompost Pit

Well there's not a lot going on in the garden lately.  Most of my herbs are half dead again.  I think it's because of the rainy season.  I also have a few worms left since most have been sold.

Anyway, I still have my outdoor "systems".  Although I don't have pictures, I'll try to describe what I saw the other day.  The pit where there was once a banana tree continues to impress me.  The contents have mostly been converted into vermicompost already.  What's amazing too is that all the banana trees in that clump died weeks ago.  But the other day, I saw two absolutely beautiful banana shoots.  They look really healthy.  I wondering now whether the worms had something to do with that.

As for the hole I dug nearby, it's been filled to the brim and I now see evidence of worm action.  There's vermicompost on top and when I remove the plastic bag covers, I see worms on top.  It took awhile but the pit now looks active. 

Interestingly enough, I also see the telltale signs of worm activity all around the backyard.  The soil looks cultivated even though you know you had nothing to do with it.  I'm not sure how else to describe it.  To test, I dig under those.  More often than not, I do find worms.  I guess it helps that there's a lot of organic material on the soil.  It allows the composting worms to thrive.

That's it for now.  Until next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

No spamming please. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails