Categories:
__________________________________________________________

Monday, December 20, 2010

Calcium and Worms

For a couple of months now, I've been wondering how to make my African Nightcrawlers reproduce faster. That's what we all want, right?  Mostly, I would see that the conditions have to be right: moisture, air and bedding.  But then I read something new.  Worms need calcium to stimulate reproduction.  Is that proven?  I can't say, but it's something worth trying.  I have been adding crushed eggshells in my worm bins though, but not for that.  I've read that worms like to crawl inside the eggshells (the ones I didn't crush).  I've also read the crushed eggshells is good as grit and helps the worms digest their food.  Finally, being a source of calcium, it helps make the bin contents more alkaline.  A lot of feed sources, like coffee grounds, are acidic.  But from hereon, I'll make sure to add lots off eggshells!  As I've read in one site, it makes worms want to do the wild thing.  ;-)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

No spamming please. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails