Categories:
__________________________________________________________

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Caring for Poinsettias


About a week ago, I ate mangoes from the fridge and followed the materials I got about drying the shell and making the seed grow roots. No, the picture in this entry is not that mango seed.   While I'm waiting for that project to bear fruit so to speak, I'll switch gears and talk about Poinsettia care. 

I have one inside the house and for some reason it keeps shedding leaves.  In fact, I don't see any red leaves anymore.  So I figured, maybe this isn't an indoor plant after all.  It seems sun starved or something. 

Here's what I found:
  • Pointsettias should have around 6 hours of indirect sunlight.   There you go; it's not an indoors plant.  I found that if you keep it in the dark, it will shed leaves.  Well, that's exactly what happened.
  • It should be kept away from hot and cold equipment and places (heaters, open windows, etc).  It's sensitive to temperature.
  • Fertilize once or twice a month
  • Keep the soil moist.  Poke your finger into the soil to test for moisture.
After my readings, I placed my plant outdoors in our greenhouse like area.  Let's see if the red leaves come back in a couple of weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Unlike mangoes which are best grown by seed, Poinsettias can be propagated through leaf & stem (petiole) cutting. You dip the cutting into a rooting compound and misting water and then plug it into the soil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. Let's see...
    I have a lucky bamboo thingie at my station in the office. Tin gave it to me for Christmas. I wonder if it survives longer than you poinsettia? Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that a water plant that's planted in gel? No fair. Those are easy to care for.

    ReplyDelete

No spamming please. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails